The Shinjuku Golden Gai Shopping District Promotion Association diligently deals with safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to ensure a pleasant visit for our guests.
We invite you here to Golden Gai to experience and enjoy the ambience of the nostalgic Shōwa period.
– Disinfectants are provided for guests at the bar entrances.
– Measures for disinfection, sterilization and hygiene are strictly implemented at the bars.
– The health conditions of pub owners and staff are closely monitored. Body temperature is tracked regularly.
– The use of paper towels is recommended in the restrooms.
– Bars have implemented protective screens and plastic curtains.
– Seating has been rearranged to adapt to social distancing.
– Face shields and splash guards can be borrowed upon request.
– We have posted the “rainbow sticker” issued by the Tokyo City Infection Prevention Policy
The Golden Gai is now a world-famous pub district that has retained the nostalgic flair of the old Shōwa era. Immerse yourself in the magic of this city!
The Shinjuku Golden Gai is not a tourist destination, but a collection of approximately 280 bars and pubs in which a unique “pub culture” has come about.
This area started out after the Second World War in 1947 as a black market and an illegal red light district and has developed into a pub street over the years. With a history spanning over 70 years, this neighborhood has seen many changes. Even now, the people who love and take pride for this neighborhood gather here to live and run their bars and restaurants.
This passionate community has not changed, and will undoubtedly not, despite the growing number of tourists from Japan and overseas, where the love for Golden Gai has extended beyond the country’s borders.
The fact that there are over 280 different pubs also means that there are over 280 different faces.
Some bars have been around for over 50 years, some have just started. For everyone however, the following applies: every bar has its unique rules and ambience.
We invite you to find a bar that suits you, to become a regular, and discover the love for this community. We look forward to a long-lasting relationship with our clients.
We have summarized the drinking rules and special traditions of this area on the drinking lesson page. Please take a look here as well!
Have fun exploring the history of the district for a nostalgic journey into the past.
If you sacrifice “alcohol”, “dreams” will also die!
(Images provided by Shinjuku’s Kabukichō Town Management)
Older posts and messages on the Facebook page of the administrative association